- 1 What is Google Alerts?
- 2 Google Alerts for Blogging and SEO
- 2.1 1. Monitor Indexing of your Website
- 2.2 2. Relevant blogs to comment in your Niche.
- 2.3 3. Trending Topics on a Niche
- 2.4 4. Monitoring Brand & Reputation Management
- 2.5 5. Monitor Questions / Discussions on your Niche
- 2.6 6. Monitor Website for Suspicious Content
- 2.7 7. Monitoring Competitors
- 2.8 8. Guest Posting Opportunities.
- 3 How to use Google Alerts effectively?
Internet is swamped up with Free tools that will help in Blogging and SEO. Most of the newbie bloggers being startups do not invest much. So these free blogging tools play a very important role in their blogging career. One of such free and under estimated blogging tool is Google Alerts.
Now lets see the perfect guide on “what is google alerts, how does it work, the complete utilization of Google Alerts in Blogging and Seo and finally the guide to use Google Alerts efficiently”.
What is Google Alerts?
Simply to say, Google Alerts is a web content monitoring tool.
The basic function of the Google Alerts tools can be explained as below:
- Based on the search query / keyword you register, Google Alerts monitors World Wide Web (WWW) for new events, contents containing the particular keywords in News, Blogs, Videos, Discussions and Books.
- Then based on the new content available in Internet and the criteria we choose when registering, Google Alerts lists down the websites and sends it to RSS or Email based on our preference.
So here is a small guide on how new Bloggers can use Google Alerts for efficient Blogging and Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Google Alerts for Blogging and SEO
1. Monitor Indexing of your Website
The single and most important reason why i started using Google Alerts is monitoring the index of my website by Google search. Every time one of my pages or blog posts get indexed by Google, i get an alert then and there, thus simplifying my task to monitor the indexing.
Create an alert for the keyword as site:yoursite.com
By this you could calculate the following
- Indexing Rate of your website.
- %Visitor flow increase by a particular blog post.
- Status of your blog post.
Note : This can be also used to get alerts when a blog is hacked, as your index page will be changed and you will receive an alert once it is indexed.
2. Relevant blogs to comment in your Niche.
If you are a blogger, you should know the importance of comments – both in building authority and SEO. Comments from relevant blogs with dofollow links offer you link juice and also helps you build your fan base. But once a blog post gets old, approximately after up to 14 days, commenting in the post loses its activity. High Authority bloggers move on, concentrating on moderating comments of latest blog posts. Some blogs even closes their comments section after 15 days.
So for the commenting campaign to be effective both in SEO and building audience, the comments are to be made in fresh and relevant blogs. For example, when i write a blog post on Google Penguin update 3.0, i will follow the following method to identify and follow up these blogs for commenting.
Note : If you write on a Trending topic in your niche, this trick will help you acquire initial traffic, thus promoting faster indexing by search engines.
3. Trending Topics on a Niche
Most important and easiest way to drive quality and a large traffic on a particular niche is to blog on the latest trends. Because,
- Number of competitor pages will be very less.
- Being early bird, you can gain quality incoming links to your blog.
So other than Google Trends, you can use Google Alerts to monitor the latest trends on a niche and blog on.
4. Monitoring Brand & Reputation Management
One of the necessary tricks for a blog selling services or products is to monitor your brand name and manage your reputation.
Monitoring your Brand : After the purchase of any services or products in blogging and technology niche, customers always write about it in their blogs and services. You should be updated of the feedback they provide you.
If you are just a blogger, you should monitor your brand name to know the audience reach and your authority.
Reputation Management : Handling the negative feedback given by your customers and audience. If one of them doesn’t feel good about your blog, try to change it or explain them your circumstances and thoughts then and there.
So stay updated on what people talk about you outside your blog.
PS : Personally for me, I monitor vdestine and vickydeepi. Vignesh Kumar is too broad to monitor and i am not that famous yet.
5. Monitor Questions / Discussions on your Niche
Another way to drive traffic to your blog is commenting on discussions or questions in discussions in your niche. Make sure that the discussions are irrelevant and you don’t spam the discussion with a lot of links. A lot of people earn by direct marketing and traffic generation by answering questions @ facebook, twitter and quora.
How to Monitor questions?
Google Alerts offers an easy way to monitor questions and discussions. As far as questions are concerned, you can use ‘*’ between a question word and the topic to get alerts on relevant questions. For example
how * blogging
why * link building
how * wordpress
Is * link building penalty
Can * link building
When * link building
Now Google fills up phrases between the two words and sends alerts to your inbox.
6. Monitor Website for Suspicious Content
Do you use nulled premium plugins or free themes or allow anonymous users to comment? If you are doing anyone of the above, you are at the risk of getting affected by “PayDay Loan” penalty by Google.
What is a Payday Loan Penalty?
Payday Loan penalty is the latest penalty rolled out by Google after Google Panda update. This update is to penalise the website or blogs that have content and meta tags. related to the popular spamming keywords like – gambling, reverse mortgage, payday loan, viagra, p**n, insurance, poker, xxx , redirect , sex , debt and dating.
So how to overcome this?
Setup an alert as “site:yoursite.com gambling OR reverse mortgage OR payday loan OR viagra OR porn OR insurance OR poker OR xxx OR redirect OR sex OR debt OR dating”
Now you will receive if there is such activity in your website. Rectify and keep your blog safe.
7. Monitoring Competitors
Whatever business you are in, you should always be updated about the topics your potential competitors talk about and the campaigns or any offers they release. If they are receiving negative feedbacks, use them as your opportunities.
Also monitoring competitions can give you their plan of expansion and scope of your business.
Do not stuff your Google Alerts with a lot of competitors. Monitor only one or two for increased productivity.
8. Guest Posting Opportunities.
Guest Posting is nearly dead. Yeah that is true to a certain extent. Though Guest posting for SEO is dead, doing the same for authority is still active. And Guest posting can also give you loyal readers and contacts.
I have seen bloggers who have ended up with high paying jobs by contacts. So you can monitor the new blogs in the niche you are related by keywords as shown below
“write for us” Blogging
“submit guest post” Affiliate Marketing
“bloggers wanted” Internet Marketing
“become a contributor” WordPress
“this guest post” SEO
“become an author” Bloggers
So now you know how to use Google alerts for blogging and SEO, let me give you two small tips on how to use them effectively.
How to use Google Alerts effectively?
Free tools, mostly email subscription tools always come with limitations. If we do not use them effectively, we will end up wasting the time. So here are some tips to use Google Alerts effectively.
- Other than your brand monitoring and website monitoring, always choose “the best results” from Google Alerts. Otherwise your email will be crowded with all the spam blogs and articles that gets indexed by google everyday.
- If you are setting up Google Alerts for any keyword, for commenting or any other reason other than website monitoring, apply a filter for them to save them inside a separate label, so that you do not waste time in clearing them when you are not in mood to check them.
So do you know any other way to use Google Alerts for blogging or SEO?? Share it here!!