My first try to document my personal experience. Professionals please drop your suggestions as comments.
An article after a long time!! As you know, apart from being a blogger, I also work on freelancer projects. For the last two weeks I have been busy with some article writing and SEO projects. One strange thing I noticed in my productivity was that – My Productivity was about 77% of total time when i worked on freelancer projects.
But when i work on my blogs or any one of my new projects, My productivity was less than 38%. I was shocked by the change in productivity. So i decided to compare the results and analyze the mistake, so that i can rectify it later. And i discovered a lot. By following my instructions, you can increase your productivity by more than 200%
This is a screenshot of my productivity on 2 days. Productivity is based on time you spent on work compared to total time spent. Courtesy : ResuceTime (Free)
Working for Clients vs Working for Myself
On general inspection of time i spent on each websites and applications, when i worked on each project, i listed out all the mistakes i did and also the probable reason for it.
|Visiting 3rd party websites increased||Lack of aim or goal.|
|Visiting Facebook||Procrastination and lack of deadlines.|
|Visiting How to Make money websites||Lack of determination|
So based on the mistakes i devised 3 simple ideas that have helped in increasing my productivity by 150%
1. I Stopped Reading Tutorials when I work
When i had a look at the Learning and Reference sections, i spent about 25% of my time on reading “How to make money online tutorials, How i earned XXX in 30 days” and much more. I am reading a lot of tutorials which is costing me a lot of time. Worst of all, i read too much so that i am not following any of them properly.
Every blogger has that disease, when we are working on a blog or something, when we see link on “How to make money”, we leave the work and go read others success stories. So
- Don’t read tutorials when working. Bookmark them for later.
- Before writing a blog post, keep all your references ready so that you need not go online for referring.
2. I Setup a Goal + Deadline
Another difference between a freelance project and blogging is, in there I am scared of the deadline and the goal. I have to complete it as it is, and also on time. But in Blogging, we don’t have such restrictions. So i started treating it as a job to. I setup a goal for myself. I planned it ahead for a week so that i do not procrastinate things.
- I used 7 Sticky notes to create virtual sticky notes and post it all over my screen. So i get reminded of my goals everyday.
- And each goal comes with a deadline, and a small note on what would happen if i dont do it on time.
This trick increased my productivity a lot. Whenever i went searching for a film or something on desktop, i got reminded back of my tasks.
3. I complemented myself / frightened myself.
Everyone needs a motivation. So do us. I have heard of quotes Compliment yourself. But i never understood what it is really. The thing is to motivate yourself by focusing a prize/complement. For example, I followed these
- I love kids so much. I play with them at evening. I trained myself not to do that unless i finish the works for the day. You should try it too.
- I always have a chart of the problems in my home, inside my bedroom. Whenever i wake up, i could feel my heart scared and motivate me to run.
4. I blocked Analytics page of my website.
Is checking analytics of your blog a good thing to.?? Yes Definitely. But checking it every hour when you get only 100 visitors/day.
No NOT GOOD.
So i temporarily blocked my analytics page. I do not look at them more than twice in a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Being a blogger, everyone is addicted to visitors. But looking at analytics page every second will not help you get them.
5. Social Networking Sites.
Pain in the ***. You cannot block them because you use them for Social Media Marketing. And when you login, you find notifications, messages or some photos and you start facebooking.
STILL I haven’t got a solution for this. Do you have any suggestions?? Comment them below.
6. Monitor Myself
Unless i know how i am spending all my time online, i would have never known how i am wasting my time. So i decided to monitor all my time, block distractions and succeed. So i started tracking my time using RescueTime. It is free. By this tool, you can
- Monitor time spent on your system and categorize them.
- Calculate your productivity pulse.
- Block distractions temporarily when focusing on a work.
- Daily and weekly report as per convenience and you can easily find out the time you spent online.
What are you waiting for? Download it Now.
Usually i do not write about self improving tips and productivity things. I think they are off-topic. But i realized, Productivity is everything for a blogger. The amount of time you use online usefully decides what you are going to be a year later . So make use of your time, motivate yourself and succeed.